A few days ago when I tried to install helm chart in my Kubernetes cluster I noticed that all new pods that required storage were in pending state. After a quick check of the logs, I found out that pods were unable to get PVC from GlusterFS. I recently wrote about my experience deploying GlusterFS cluster. This time I will go through recovering data from the broken GlusterFS cluster, and some problems I faced deploying new cluster.
Since my previous posts about CI/CD, a lot have changed. I started using Helm for packaging applications, stopped using docker-in-docker in gitlab-runner. Recently, I started working on a few Golang microservices. I decided to try gitlab’s caching and split the job into multiple steps for better feedback in UI. Few of the main changes to my .gitlab-ci.yaml file since my previous post: no docker-in-docker using cache for packages instead of a prebuilt image with dependencies splitting everything into multiple steps.
Creating a high available PostgreSQL cluster always was a tricky task. Doing it in the cloud environment is especially difficult. I found at least 3 projects trying to provide HA PostgreSQL solutions for Kubernetes. Patroni Patroni is a template for you to create your own customized, high-availability solution using Python and - for maximum accessibility - a distributed configuration store like ZooKeeper, etcd or Consul. Database engineers, DBAs, DevOps engineers, and SREs who are looking to quickly deploy HA PostgreSQL in the datacenter - or anywhere else - will hopefully find it useful.
After my previous post - How to easily deploy GitLab to Kubernetes - I’ve got a lot of responses. I helped several people to get GitLab up and running on their clusters. With that manifests it became much easier to deploy GitLab to Kubernetes. It was still few things that were usually misunderstood and misconfigured. You can find out these things only by talking with people who are actually trying to use your work.
I spent last two days installing GlusterFS storage on top of my Kubernetes. It took much more time and effort than it should. I faced all kinds of problems, some if which were not obvious and took a lot of googling. So I decided to write this post. Hopefully it will save some time for somebody. I was playing with helm. Trying to assemble a complex application with several dependencies from official chart repository.